Sunday, January 15, 2012

The...GOLDEN GLOBES!!!

 
SUMMARY OF THE NIGHT:

There were some very interesting dresses, which made this a night to remember in the fashion world. Boring? No way! This awards show, people BROUGHT IT. Everyone just seemed to be themselves and be proud to have their own style. LOVE.

Straps, no straps, one-sleeve, cap-sleeves, halters, long sleeves - it was all there!

The men didn't know when to stop with the spray tans.
The bow ties made a comeback - more bow ties than ties - hot. I used to be more into the ties, but I'm loving the old Hollywood glamour lately.

Blush / nude was the big color of the night.

Below are my BEST DRESSED OF THE NIGHT:

Who had the "look of the night?" ANGELINA JOLIE!
The shocking red lips, gorgeous color combination, and poised stature...she won me over at first glance.
(look below for photos!)

Nicole Kidman wore an embellished Versace dress, Fred Leighton jewels, Manolo Blahnik shoes, and a Roger Vivier clutch. I expected her to wear a solid, long gown, but this was a surprise that matched beautifully with her hair and eye colors.
Getty
Claire Danes wore the usual and predictable column dress, but this time her waist was a bit higher, which lengthened her legs and looked gorg. The J. Mendel dress looked so much better on camera than in photos, but the strong shoulder details and great black and white combination were great.
justjared.buzznet.com
I wasn't in love with the makeup, but I do agree with the pop of lip color.

Heidi Klum looked sun-kissed in Calvin Klein. My favorite part? The back. Or lack there-of. The super deep vee back was so sexy, and the California look and dress length was fresh and fun for Heidi.
Getty
Reuters

Getty Images, Jason Merritt
Guiliana Rancic tried something different with a Monique Collignon gown for the pre-awards show.  Very fun.

I'm still undecided about her awards show Basil Soda gown in the color of the night - nude. I'm just not sure if there's TOO much going on with it.
AFP / Getty
Piper Perabo's (with a tinge of purple) was so beautifully crafted, and I love the princess effect without going overboard (Theysken's Thoery Spring '12 collection grey dress).
Getty
Maria Menounos looked so vibrant like the sun. The dress showed off her healthy shape, and the silver accessories were a nice contrast to the golden tone.
Credit: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com                                   
AP Photo/Chris Pizzello
Ariel Winter in my fav of all time, Dolce & Gabanna:
Credit: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
She looked so appropriate for her age, and everything was paired together so perfectly, from the brightly-colored, tea-length dress, to the platform shoes to the side swept hair with the opposite sleeve being displayed.

Laura Dern looked so striking in an emerald full-length sequin v-neck dress with matching belt. The fit was perfection, the silhouette simple yet stunning, and the overall look youthful yet elegant.

Sofia Vergara worked out twice a day to look her best in her custom-made Vera Wang peacock strapless mermaid gown. Although I think that's a bit extreme since it's best in my opinion to fit to your body instead of forcing your body (that already looks amazing) to fit a specific ideal for a day. She's known for her body and I hope she realizes after this that she doesn't need to go to extremes to look and feel beautiful.

(Getty Images, Jason Merritt


Credit: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com; Jason Merritt/Getty Images; Steve Granitz/WireImage.com
Angelina Jolie - I can't even - the satin one-shoulder Atelier Versace gown's lines created a shape most women would envy, and the red overlap matched the clutch and lipstick so well. Usually that would look too "matchy matchy," but with the eye makeup and simple up hairdo, it was nothing less than perfect. The Lorraine Schwartz earrings and ring added the little bit of bling that took it to another level.

Adam Levine in Tom Ford - best dressed man of the night:

Love the large bow tie.
Emma Stone wore Lanvin so strongly that her "Superman" belt made complete sense. The deep plum color paired with a deep pinkish red was unpredictable with her hair color.
Getty
Shailene Woodley's simplicity paired with the details of her dress were so beautiful. At first glance, I thought the dress was too low, but then I saw that it was actually sheer on the top. I do believe then that the design was a bit low for her (always better to look pushed up than too low in that area!), but the details of the dress made up for it so well that she is definitely on my list of top contenders for best dressed.
Associated Press, Matt Sayles
Diane Agron - I didn't especially love the Giles Deacon dress overall, but I thought it important to mention that I DID love the top, and if the bottom was simpler or had cutouts instead of lace, it would've been amazing - aaah that red...

Salma Hayek reminded me of a statue at first, but as they panned the camera down, I saw the lines (literally), and I saw the beauty in the direction it led your eyes. Great illusions in this Gucci dress (SO Gucci).
I also noticed the dip-dye effect of her hair color to match her dress and thought that was a really cool thing to do.
celebrity-gossip.net
Sarah Michelle Geller - Love the dress - but not on her. It would look amazing on someone with dark, slicked back hair and a crimson lip. The bright blue would pop, but in a sexy, trendy way. I love the dress, so here it is on the list!
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
Madonna wore a gorgeous Reem Acra gown. And the Neil Lane cross necklace and the gloves remind us that this is MADONNA.
Steve Granitz/WireImage  

Opinions? I know you have them! 

3 comments:

Beth said...

Once again your comments are spot on. As for Guiliana Rancic let me help you out by telling you that the Basil Soda gown doesn't work for her. The dress itself with it's swirls of fabric and gold accents is beautiful but the highlights in Guiliana's hair clash with the dress. Ideally I would have preferred to have seen her dress on someone slightly more mature like Helen Mirren.

Unknown said...

What a great suggestion for Guiliana's second dress! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Loved all of your comments and descriptions of everyone's style.
My favorite was also the red and white dress on angelina!Another favorie was the green on Laura Dern...like you said...perfect fit.
I loved all of the colors and sophistication felt throughout the night.