Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscars Perfection

More "mistakes" than I would've preferred, but there were some definite knockouts at the Oscars tonight!
Let's focus on the positive:

Mila Kunis!
The sparkly earrings, the wavy, pulled-back hair (a trend tonight!), the pale lavender Elie Saab lace dress, and smokey eyes...now THIS is a wonderful look for Mila. Yes, she looks gorgeous in most things, but wow.
Credit: Frazer Harrison/Getty
Reese Witherspoon rocked the '60's high poneytail. She can pull off so many looks!
pic from FabSugar.com
Mandy Moore wore Monique Lhuillier, and boy did she wear it! The nude color (another trend tonight and this season in general) needed the sparkle, and it fit beautifully.  (The Chopard jewels didn't hurt either!) Another shot: Mandy
Credit: Steve Granitz/WireImage
I'm not sure how to feel about the other nude sparkle star tonight, Halle:
Halle Berry 

Jennifer Hudson wore Versace, and the fit was perfection on her new, sleek body. Though I did love the color and fit on her, I'm not loving the low-cut tops she has been wearing lately. You?
Credit: Jason Merritt/Getty
Jennifer Lawrence looked stunning in a red Calvin Klein low-cut dress and big hair, very different from her last few outfits (Remember the hot pink dress with black sash and major eyeliner with pulled back hair?).
Credit: Kevork Djansezian/Getty
Her body is ROCKIN'!

Hailee Steinfeld looked like a ballerina princess in Marchesa.  The length, so on trend, made her extra special tonight.
Credit: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com
Though I would've preferred a different cut on her arms (wasn't great unless she was posing), Amy Adams looked beautiful in L'Wren Scott. The Cartier jewelry really made her outfit. The green necklace over the navy sequins combined with her red hair and makeup looks beautiful.
Credit: Jason Merritt/Getty Images
Russell Brand looks good in his gingham navy and black shirt with black tie and navy slim suit.
pic from justjared.buzznet.com
I didn't prefer Anne Hathaway's red carpet dress, but when she first presented...wow. The cream strapless dress sparkled, and she truly looked like a star with her side swept hair.
Cream Dress

Florence Welch rocked the look in Valentino. The long sleeve lace dress paired with her red hair looked awesome. Though the pale yellow color is tough to pull off, it looked kind of cool with her hair color! Another shot: Florence
Credit: Jason Merritt/Getty
Cate Blanchet - OMG - pink is of course not my favorite, but the cut, the detailing, the shape of it all, the yellow beading on the shoulders, the yellow diamond studs (Van Cleef & Arpels), the simple hair and makeup, it made my mouth drop wide open and close about 5 minutes later. Givenchy Haute Couture did that to me. The entire outfit did that to me.
(better on TV than it was photographed) See a closer pic here: Cate And another
Credit: Frazer Harrison/Getty
* favorite of the night

Helen Mirren wore her dress beautifully, and the flattering cut and modern feel really kept her in the spotlight.

Jason Merritt/Getty Images
The wives did well too tonight! Matthew McConaughey's wife and model, Camila Alves, looked amazing in her black low-cut, full dress, combined with her hair and earrings, gave it a Spanish feel and was one of my favorites of the night.
Camila in black

Mark Ruffalo's significant other looked like the golden statue with her dark blond hair, gold lame strapless part of the dress, gold long earrings, but the black sculptural part of the dress makes it modern and completely stand out. Sunrise Coigney
Another with the same gold statue theme? Gwyneth Paltrow:
Getty pic
My favorite part? The earrings! Calvin Klein dress and Vuiton jewelry - wow. She looked very California fresh combined with glamour and sophistication.

Scarlett Johanssen's color dress is so gorg! And who else could it be but my favorite, Dolce & Gabbana. A dark magenta lace statuesque dress with touseled hair, smokey plum eyes,

Credit: Steve Granitz/WireImage

Least fav? 
Big trends: 
red, nude, gold
low, swept-back wavy hair

4 comments:

Beth said...

Another great post!

I thought mostly everyone looked fabulous. Like you I loved Mila Kunis's dress. I also loved Melissa Leo's dress. Did you happen to catch Anne Hathaway's 1st stage dress? Loved that one too!

As for Jennifer Hudson I think she looks fabulous. It's just a matter of getting used to her in low cut dresses. Most people wouldn't think anything of actress Sofia Vergara wearing such a dress so I think we just need to get used to Jennifer dressing similarly.

Russell Brand looked great but did you think his suit was appropriate for the Oscars? To me it was more of a Grammy's or MTV Music Award suit.

Although, in the photograph Halle Berry's dress looks like it has a lot going on camera I thought it worked and I liked it.

I agree with you Nicole Kidman's dress was such a disappointment. Nicole gets my vote for worst dressed but Marisa Tomei's dress doesn't fall too far behind. Can't say I loved Helena Bonham dress either but I think that's expected when it comes to her.

I'm glad you made a comment about Amy Adam's jewelry. Personally I think her dress was enough w/out the jewelry but I understand how it works.

As for the wives. You are right they stole the show. Camila Alves, looked amazing!! Oh, and per normal Matthew looked hot!!

Beth said...

Oh, and did you catch Zachary Levi? Heavily tanned (fake?) but he still manages to get my vote for best dressed man...http://www.moviefone.com/oscars-academy-awards/photos/red-carpet?icid=maing|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk1|46968

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great reply, Beth!
Yes, Zachary looked extremely dapper and handsome. I think Anne was glad to be singing with him ;)

Regarding Jennifer Hudson, for me personally, it's not so much a case of getting used to it, but I just don't think the way her chest looks, so taped and as a major focus on the outfit when her body and dress are so gorg, is so great. Sophia, her chest is part of what makes her body va va voom.

I agree that Marissa is voted #2 worst, but I would've loved the dress on some other people. It just didn't fit her right and wasn't the right dress for her. I love vintage couture though.

Very interesting about Russell Brand...I love his outfit, but you're right, maybe more appropriate for another awards show. If he had a little sheen or a bow tie, I would've thought even better.

And yes, I wrote about Anne's presentation dress in the post. The cream one that she first walked out in was so beautiful.

To the next show!

Beth said...

Haha, you're right Jennifer is a little too taped and it does kind of take away from the beauty of it all but I'm still okay with it.

Yes we all love a little vintage couture but you're right Marissa dress would be better on someone other than her.

So, you did write about Anne's cream dress. I must of scrolled passed that paragraph. Sorry I missed it. I am amazed that you were able to find a pic of it so fast. I really liked most of the dresses she wore last night.