Thursday, April 7, 2011

Food Intolerance Experiment - Excited!

I've had a few food allergy tests throughout my life. My first, a prick test in 3rd grade, told me I was allergic to sugar, apples, wheat, and a few other foods. My 7th grade blood test added hops, tylenol, basil, sage, cow's milk, olives, and a few others to the list.
As many of you know, I've been experimenting with how my body reacts to various foods for years now, and this week was no different.

A few weeks ago, I had yet another blood test to see if there were any changes with a few of the major allergic foods. I wanted to make sure none were still on the list so I could experiment safely. It ends up I only have a truly allergy to dust mites now and the others must just be intolerances. Great! Onto my first test...

I bought a couple of prepared dishes from Mrs. Greens (great natural food store if you don't know it!) so I would be buying good quality organic foods with only one ingredient that I was going to be testing (It's better to buy prepared food when testing so you don't waste money buying a lot of the test food if it doesn't go well...).

I bought one dish with sage added to it. It wasn't the first ingredient, but somewhere in the middle. I got a little headache when eating the dish, but hey...not so bad!
The next day I tried a paprika chicken that was prepared with olive oil (also not the first or last ingredient). I could DEFINITELY live with a tiny headache if I can finally go eat Italian food again! Or travel to Greece! Or eat the healthy oil when making salads or cold meals!

Oranges seem to be going back and forth for me, one day the smell making me nauseous, and the next day not affecting me at all. I was even able to pick a few pieces up to help my son after our sushi yesterday!

I still have to test my other foods, but I am so excited that eating just one of the foods I'm sensitive to doesn't seem to affect me so much anymore. Now imagine tomato sauce with basil, sage, olive oil, and cheese! 
We'll save that test for much later - wink wink....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your such a strong woman! Kudos to you for consistently challenging yourself to try new things.

"Time on its back bears all things far away- for many a challenge is wrought by many a day- shape, fortune, name, and nature all decay" -Plato